January 5, 2019 by phicks2012
There are hundreds of cool things to do to stave off boredom. Among other things, you can read (or write) a good book (remember those?), work on crafts, get together (or spend time) with friends or family (for me that also counts going to an SCA event), go to a sporting event (either as a participant or as a fan), see a good movie, play an on-line game, or even take a class. However, there are times when, for whatever reason, options are few.
So what do I do when I’m really REALLY bored? What are my options when I have no unread books handy and nothing on Kindle looks worth ordering — when I’m burned out (for the time being) on World of Warcraft, — when I just don’t feel like sewing, embroidering, weaving, or writing poetry — when I’m way ahead on newsletters and comic strips — when I have no heraldic research or consulting to do — when I have no friends available to get together with, and when I can’t find anything on live TV (either movies or series) that I want to watch?
I’ve given this a lot of thought, and come up with three lists:
Things I WILL Do Even If Only Marginally Bored:
1) Do Stunt Heraldry: Documenting ridiculous names or devices for no reason except as a diversion.
2) Draw extra Comic Strips (if I have even a sliver of inspiration).
3) Browse Amazon.com or the internet in general for gag gifts and unusual or period-looking dust-collectors.
4) Eat (unfortunately).
5) Do extra Heraldic Commentary on OSCAR (the On-Line System for Commentary And Response).
6) Go to a nearby SCA Event (if one is available) or get together with an entertaining friend.
7) Watch a science documentary On Demand– yes, REALLY!
8) Write BLOGS like this one.
9) Watch Sports (just not ANY sport).
Things I Might Do if I Were Really Incredibly Bored:
1) Watch Court TV, the coverage of a marathon, or golf.
2) Rewatch a movie I’ve seen more than five times.
3) Work in the garden (hopefully not weeding).
4) Check out a previously unwatched TV series (about which I know nothing) On Demand.
5) Play Solitaire.
6) Work on a Newsletter with a release date more than 6 months in the future.
7) Actually look at all of my Facebook notifications (just not political rants).
8) Housework (only not a LOT).
Things I Will NOT Do, Regardless Of Boredom Level:
1) Hunt a rabid wolverine naked.
2) Watch the Kardasians, the 700 Club, or Two Broke Girls.
3) Give myself a tattoo.
4) Eat licorice, raw chicken, or strychnine.
5) Base jump over a field of cactus and rattlesnakes.
6) Pierce my nose and insert a padlock.
7) Pay $743 (or even $511) in Bitcoin to an email extortionist, or purchase a $25 ITunes Gift Card from Walmart for a total stranger on Facebook Messenger.