October 12, 2012 by phicks2012
A couple of years ago my basement started having moisture problems, and despite the fact that one of my friends thinks the word “moist” is very nearly obscene, this was a lot more troublesome than kinky.
Due to the Georgia humidity the metal water pipes overhead were sweating — not glistening in the form of proper southern womanhood — and dripping, and so was the water treatment tank where my well water is “softened”. I tried insulating the pipes with foam tubing — and since I still have no ceiling down there this was possible — but the drips continued anyway and I knew I was going to start having a mold problem if I didn’t do something about it.
The answer was a dehumidifier. I bought a small, modest unit, and that did the trick, believe it or not, but it sucked so much moisture out of the air that I had to empty (that’s “manually” empty) the 2.5 gallon reservoir a couple of times a day. Otherwise, when the reservoir got full the unit would just shut off and stop doing any good.
So, being something of a DIY type, I plumbed the thing — via a piece of tubing and some PVC fittings and hose fittings — into the line to the condensation pump that dealt with the runoff from my a/c unit in the basement, and VOILA! Problem solved!!
Okay, it was solved until the condensation pump died the other day and I had to replace it. It cost me $50 to replace the thing, shopping at Home Depot, and the first one I got was defective. A part was missing, but the folks at Home Depot were great about it and swapped it out, the good unit was a snap to hook up, and now my dehumidifier unit is back on line and the basement nice and dry again!
Thanks, Michael at Home Depot!